from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A convex lens used to focus the sun's rays and produce heat, especially for ignition.
- n. Eyeglasses with tinted or polarizing lenses to protect the eyes from the sun's glare.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Singular form of sunglasses; used chiefly in compounds
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A convex lens of glass for producing heat by converging the sun's rays into a focus.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A burning-glass.
- n. Same as shade-glass; a screen of colored glass attached to a sextant to diminish the apparent brightness of the sun.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a convex lens that focuses the rays of the sun; used to start a fire
Sorry, no etymologies found.