from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A tropical Asian plant (Crotalaria juncea) having clusters of yellow flowers.
- n. A tough fiber obtained from the stems of this plant, used for cordage.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An East Indian leguminous plant (Crotalaria juncea) and its fiber, which is also called sunn hemp.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A valuable East Indian fiber resembling hemp, obtained from the inner bark of Crotalaria juncea.
- n. The plant Crotalaria juncea, a stiff shrub from 5 to 8 or even 12 feet high, with slender wand-like rigid branches, yielding the sunn-hemp. Also sun-plant.
Hindi san, from Sanskrit śāṇa-, hempen, from śaṇaḥ, hemp.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)