American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. See goatfish.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A fish of the family Mullidæ; specifically, Mullus surmuletus, one of the choicest food-fishes of the Mediterranean (anciently the mullus, of gastronomic renown), red in color with three yellow longitudinal stripes. The red or plain surmullet of Europe is M. barbatus. See mullet.
- n. A mullet in the family Mullidae.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Zoöl.) Any one of various species of mullets of the family
Millidæ, esp. the European species (Millus surmulletus), which is highly prized as a food fish. See mullet.
- n. brightly colored tropical fishes with chin barbels
- French surmulet, from Middle French sormulet, from sor ("reddish brown") + mulet ("mullet"). (Wiktionary)
- French surmulet, from Old French sormulet : probably sor, reddish brown (of Germanic origin) + mulet, mullet; see mullet. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Of sea substances, the surmullet, the blacktail, the mullet, and the eel; for these are the fishes most to be guarded against.”
“It was composed of turtle soup made of the most delicate hawks bills, of a surmullet served with puff paste (the liver of which, prepared by itself, was most delicious), and fillets of the emperor-holocanthus, the savour of which seemed to me superior even to salmon.”
“Seius gave for the nightingale the command of a quantity of labour and subsistence equal to what 66l. 13s. 4d. would purchase in the present simes, and Asinius Celer gave for the surmullet the command of a quantity equal to what 88l. 17s. 9d. 1/3 would purchase.”
“It was composed of turtle soup made of the most delicate hawks bills, of a surmullet served with puff paste”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘surmullet’.
lots and lots of fish, a piscatorial
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
The words on this list need to get out more. Seriously, I can't believe I'm the only person listing them. Won't you please consider offering them a playdate with some of your words? Surely you have...
Looking for tweets for surmullet.