American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adv. Without the intrusion of a third person; in intimate privacy: talk tête-à-tête; a tête-à-tête supper.
- n. A private conversation between two persons.
- n. A sofa for two, especially an S-shaped one allowing the occupants to face each other.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Face to face; in private; in close confabulation.
- Private; confidential; with none present but the persons concerned: as, a tête-à-tête conversation.
- n. A private interview; a friendly or close conversation.
- n. A short sofa, on which only two persons can comfortably sit.
- n. A face-to-face meeting, or private conversation between two people, usually in an intimate setting; a head-to-head.
- n. A bench or sofa that allows two people to talk face-to-face.
- adv. In private, between two people; head-to-head.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. Private conversation; familiar interview or conference of two persons.
- n. A short sofa intended to accomodate two persons.
- adj. Private; confidential; familiar.
- adv. Face to face; privately or confidentially; familiarly.
- adv. without the intrusion of a third person; in intimate privacy
- adj. involving two persons; intimately private
- n. a private conversation between two people
- n. small sofa that seats two people
- French tête-à-tête ("head-to-head") (Wiktionary)
- French : tête, head + à, to + tête, head. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
These user-created lists contain the word ‘tête-à-tête’.
Terms with multiple hyphens, such as rent-a-crowd. Not intended to be a see-how-many-words-one-can-string-together-with-hyphens-used-adjectively sort of list.
Loanwords from French -- both established and wet behind the ears -- that are tricky to spell or pronounce properly.
French idioms, expressions, and proverbs.
appeler un chat u..., appuyer sur le ch..., araignée du matin..., au royaume des av..., autant pisser dan..., avoir d'autres ch..., avoir le cafard, avoir un chat dan..., avoir un oeil qui..., c'est dans les vi..., ce ne sont pas vo..., chanter comme une... and 108 more...
Basically it's just mikeropology's words, but with his username turned into an adjectivally splendid list name.
Words to my liking. (The most lovelybeautifulintricatecondecendinggratuitous.)
from Oliver Goldsmith's She Stoops to Conquer, Christopher Smart's Jubilate Agno, Richard Brinsley Sheridan's School for Scandal ...
Various words noted while reading over the past 15 years.
Words that replace common terms and should deceive most College Counselors with their egregious floridness.
1999 Â· 2000 Â· 2001 Â· 2002 Â· 2003 Â· 2004 Â· 2005 Â· 2006 Â· 2007 Â· 2008
As it turns out, WotD really enjoys repeating itself. Though mildly infuriating it was, I've added the fi...
Looking for tweets for tête-à-tête.