from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The art or process of making leather from rawhides.
- n. Browning of the skin by exposure to sun and weather.
- n. Informal A beating; a whipping.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. Present participle of tan.
- v. The process of making leather, which does not easily decompose, from the skins of animals, which do.
- n. The acquisition of a tan, either by exposure to the sun, or artificially.
- n. A spanking.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The art or process of converting skins into leather. See tan, v. t., 1.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The art or process of converting hides and skins into leather; the manufacture of leather.
- n. An appearance or hue of a brown color produced on the skin by the action of the sun.
- n. Same as tannage, 3.
- n. A whipping; a flogging.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. beating with a whip or strap or rope as a form of punishment
- n. process in which skin pigmentation darkens as a result of exposure to ultraviolet light
- n. making leather from rawhide
Sorry, no etymologies found.