American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adv. At full gallop; at top speed.
- n. A hunting cry.
- n. A fast, furious gallop; top speed.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Swiftly; rapidly; at full speed.
- Swift; rapid; hasty; on the rush.
- n. A hunting cry, inciting to speed or denoting full chase.
- n. A rapid, violent movement; a gallop; a rush; a torrent.
- n. A High-church Tory of about the time of James II.
- To hurry off.
- adv. obsolete At full tilt
- n. obsolete A rapid gallop
- n. informal The sound of a hunting horn in imitation of a galloping horse
GNU Webster's 1913
- adv. Swiftly; speedily; rapidly; -- a fox-hunting term.
- n. A rapid, violent gallop; an impetuous rush.
- v. colloq. To go away in haste.
- Origin unknown. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“These martial strains seemed as far away as Palestine, and reminded me of a march of crusaders in the horizon, with a slight tantivy and tremulous motion of the elm tree tops which overhang the village.”
“He says that an ambitious tantivy,  missing of his towering hopes of preferment in”
“He was of a nature to ride tantivy into anything that promised excitement or adventure.”
“Rather than face death and the death-fear, in an attempt to flee the unfleeable he had thrown every other consideration to the winds, and ridden tantivy into the unknown.”
“Ten minutes later, everyone was back in their seats and Tom, who had purloined the horn from the long basket attached to the side of the guard's seat, blew a tantivy into the night and Duncan, muffled from neck to heels in the big coat, set the horses in motion.”
“Is it strange that I became known as the wildest tantivy boy that rode with the King?”
“In the common-room one day sat as merry a company of carousers as ever gladdened the soul of an old tantivy boy.”
“The wild tantivy boy had vanished, and the sobriquet of "Tavern Knight" was fast becoming”
“He says that an ambitious tantivy,  missing of his towering hopes of preferment in Ireland, is come over to vent his spleen on the late Ministry, etc.”
“How does it come that a few short hours later we find him galloping tantivy over the dusty hills, no less than two hundred miles, as the birds fly, from the counter railing of welcomings?”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘tantivy’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
a motley crew of words i enjoy
I enjoy collecting words, for I have no fear of them ever running out.
how many words can I make mine this summer?
A list of words whose meanings I am learning, either because a) I don't know the meaning b) I know the meaning, but could stand to better appreciate certain inflections or secondary meanings or c) ...
"Fornication" is not equal to "formication".
Words with funny meaning, spelling or both.
Looking for tweets for tantivy.