American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The rearmost segment of the body of certain arthropods.
- n. An extension of this segment, such as the middle lobe of the tail fan of a lobster or the stinger of a scorpion.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In zoology, the last segment, or an azygous appendage of the last segment, or the median axis of the last segment, whether in one piece or more, of certain crustaceans and arachmidans, as the middle flipper of a lobster's tail-fin, the long sharp tail of a horseshoe-crab, and the sting of a scorpion. In long-tailed crustaceans a broad flat telson combines with similar swimmerets to form the rhipidura. In some thysanurous insects the telson is a small plate at the end of the abdomen, and is either a modified segment or, more probably, a median azygous appendage. See cuts under Amphithoë, Eurypterida, horseshoe-crab, scorpion, and Squillidæ.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Zoöl.) The terminal joint or movable piece at the end of the abdomen of Crustacea and other articulates. See thoracostraca.
- Ancient Greek a boundary, limit. (Wiktionary)
- Greek, limit. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The boys have a triangle shaped telson (tail) while the girls have an oval shaped telson which is used to carry the eggs tucked in between it and the body.”
“The median length of the carapace was taken, from the tip of the rostrum to the posterior edge, and the length of the abdomen was taken from this point to the edge of the telson.”
“The new species is distinguished from all the known species of the genus by the combination of broadly rounded rostrum, narrower eyes and the spination of the uropodal endopod and telson.”
“So, wait, what does Pam’s gender history have to do with this? reply telson”
“- P900 24 year old from madras, works as a team leader in a network support centre. debu aka Devesh Rai - Nokia 9500, treo650 and a telson twc-1150 .. debu is from New Delhi, studying in bangalore, 1st year of engineering, kind of technology lover, Mobile phones are his hobby. (we can see that for sure.) t610 - a fine lady from a remote place in gujarat has been kicking up quite a revolution in posting. orginally from tamilnadu, she is known for very witty replies that holds a meaning in a very mysterious way. k700 - a fine young man from mumbai, doing his MBA. he also owns a paul - nokia 6680 - from bangalore and is a bsc student.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘telson’.
Yes. Yes it does.
random dorky things
Looking for tweets for telson.