from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Cylindrical but usually slightly tapering at both ends, circular in cross section, and smooth-surfaced.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Having a smooth circular cross-section; cylindrical.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Cylindrical and slightly tapering; columnar, as some stems of plants.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Slender and smooth, with a circular transverse section; cylindrical or slightly tapering. See cut under petiole.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. especially of plant parts; cylindrical and tapering
From Latin teres, teret-, rounded; see terə-1 in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin teres ("rounded (cylindrical)"). (Wiktionary)