from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or causing tetanus.
- adj. Of, relating to, or causing tetany.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. of or relating to tetanus
- adj. causing tetanus
- adj. of or relating to tetany
- adj. causing tetany
- n. Any substance that causes tetanic spasms.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to tetanus; having the character of tetanus
- adj. Producing, or tending to produce, tetanus, or tonic contraction of the muscles. See Tetanic, n.
- n. A substance (notably nux vomica, strychnine, and brucine) which, either as a remedy or a poison, acts primarily on the spinal cord, and which, when taken in comparatively large quantity, produces tetanic spasms or convulsions.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to, of the nature of, or characterized by tetanus.
- n. In medicine, a remedy which acts on the nerves, and through them on the muscles, as nux vomica, strychnia, brucina, etc. If taken in overdoses tetanics occasion convulsions and death.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of or relating to or causing tetany
- adj. of or relating to or causing tetanus
Sorry, no etymologies found.
_anger_ there is a kind of tetanic contraction of all the capillaries, causing extreme pallor, and the expulsion of an extra quantity of bile from the liver.
Carbamazepine has been demonstrated to decrease seizure activity in animals with electrically and chemically induced seizures. 5 It is believed to act by, "reducing polysynaptic responses and blocking the post-tetanic potentiation."
When the loins are in a tetanic state, and the spirits in the veins are obstructed by melancholic humors, venesection will afford relief.
Both these currents have a frequency of at least fifty cycles per second and will cause a tetanic contraction of voluntary muscle, so for this purpose, the two currents are interchangeable and therefore referred to as Faradic-type current.
- Anti-tetanic serum only has a transitory action and must be combined with anti-tetanic vaccination.
- Do not administer if known allergy to anti-tetanic serum.
- Adsorbed tetanic toxoid, monovalent, vial with ready to use solution.
- Adsorbed vaccine (diphtheric and tetanic toxoid and killed bacterial vaccine against pertussis), ampoule with ready to use solution.
A tetanic convulsion wracked Spock's body, arching his spine and forcing from him a shuddering, anguished scream.
The moment the corpuscles suffer some deleterious influence, for example cooling or overheating, then the spores that were hitherto imprisoned are set free and do straightway produce fatal tetanic cramps.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.