American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A deposit of urates in the skin and tissue around a joint or in the external ear, occurring in gout. Also called chalkstone.
- n. A concretion of mineral salts and organic matter deposited on the surface of the teeth.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Calc tufa.
- n. A concretion of calcareous matter which forms on the cartilaginous surface of the joints, and on the pinna of the ear, in gout; a gouty deposit.
- n. medicine A deposit of monosodium urate crystals in the body, caused by high levels of uric acid in the blood.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Med.) One of the mineral concretions about the joints, and in other situations, occurring chiefly in gouty persons. They consist usually of urate of sodium; when occurring in the internal organs they are also composed of phosphate of calcium.
- n. (Min.) Calcareous tufa.
- n. a deposit of urates around a joint or in the external ear; diagnostic of advanced or chronic gout
- n. an incrustation that forms on the teeth and gums
- Latin, meaning "stone". (Wiktionary)
- Latin tōphus, tufa. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Et tophus fcaber, et nigris exefa chelydris Creta, negant alios seque ferpentibus agros Dulcem ferre cibum, et curvas praebere latebras.”
“4 Diab, Lexicon of orthopaedic etymology (1999), p.353 (see link): "NB: the spelling tophus perhaps was introduced into Latin as the more learned form, as though it were of Greek origin.”
“2 Skinner, The origin of medical terms (1961), 2nd edition, p.406 (see link): "Latin - tophus or tofus, from the Greek τόφος, a loose, porous, kind of stone (Hebrew, toph).”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘tophus’.
List of items never for sale on craigslist.
Should you find one of these for sale, let us know. We'll scare you up a coupon for a free day at a gym or something.
Looking for tweets for tophus.