from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. See jewelweed.
- n. See sensitive plant.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of several unrelated plants which react when touched.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. See impatiens.
- n. Squirting cucumber. See under cucumber.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A plant of the genus Impatiens, especially I. Nolitangere, so called because the ripe seed-vessel explodes at the touch.
- n. In medicine, a tubercular affection, occurring especially about the face; noli-me-tangere; lupus.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. prostrate or semi-erect subshrub of tropical America, and Australia; heavily armed with recurved thorns and having sensitive soft grey-green leaflets that fold and droop at night or when touched or cooled
- n. North American annual plant with usually yellow or orange flowers; grows chiefly on wet rather acid soil
- n. Mediterranean vine having oblong fruit that when ripe expels its seeds and juice violently when touched
From the bursting of the ripe seedpods when touched.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)