from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A whirlwind.
- n. A vortex, as of a whirlwind or whirlpool.
- n. A skyrocket that has a spiral flight.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An ornamental firework that turns round in the air so as to form a scroll of fire.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An ornamental firework which turns round, when in the air, so as to form a scroll of fire.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The point near the vertex around which the hair grows radially in different directions.
- n. An ornamental firework which turns round when in the air so as to present the appearance of a scroll or a spiral column of fire.
Middle English turbilloun, from Old French torbeillon, ultimately from Latin turbō, from Greek turbē, noise, confusion; see turbid.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
See tourbillon. (Wiktionary)