from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Surgical incision of the trachea through the neck, as to make an artificial opening for breathing.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A surgical procedure in which an incision is made into the trachea, through the neck, and a tube inserted so as to make an artificial opening in order to assist breathing.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The operation of making an opening into the windpipe.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In surgery, the operation of making an opening into the trachea or windpipe.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a surgical operation that creates an opening into the trachea with a tube inserted to provide a passage for air; performed when the pharynx is obstructed by edema or cancer or other causes
WOODRUFF: Sanjay, if I'm hearing you correctly, I'm hearing you using both the term tracheotomy and tracheostomy, which is it, or is it both?
What he's suggesting is something called a tracheotomy, which is where you take a tube and put it -- insert into the neck and put into the baby's lungs to help make breathing easier.
Once again he brought up the subject of the doctors at the hospital performing this procedure called a tracheotomy on my throat.
A tracheotomy is a procedure performed in that situation.
Last week, he had a tracheotomy, which is not the usual treatment for thyroid cancer; it's only done when something has gone wrong and the patient is having trouble breathing.
But even in experienced hands, a tracheotomy could be a tricky procedure.
Our only resource in this form of the disease used to be by mechanical or surgical means, opening the windpipe below the level of the obstruction and inserting a curved silver tube -- the so-called tracheotomy operation; or later, and less heroic, by pushing forcibly down into the larynx, and through and past the obstruction at the vocal cords, a small metal tube through which the child could manage to breathe.
The tracheotomy was the result of a bout with pneumonia that left her gasping for air and it returned her to the big, bountiful, hungry life that was one of her greatest roles.
A surgical procedure known as a tracheotomy was performed Saturday morning.
BACKGROUND: A tracheotomy is a surgical procedure in which a cut or opening is made in the windpipe.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.