from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- Across; on the other side; beyond: transpolar.
- Through: transcontinental.
- Change; transfer: transliterate.
- Having a pair of identical atoms on opposite sides of two atoms linked by a double bond. Used of a geometric isomer: trans-butene.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- Across, through, over, beyond, to or on the other side of, outside of.
- Describing a compound in which two atoms or groups are situated on opposite sides of some plane of symmetry passing through the compound.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- A prefix, signifying over, beyond, through and through, on the other side, as in transalpine, beyond the Alps; transform, to form through and through, that is, anew, transfigure.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A combining-form used, in organic chemistry, to indicate that two radicals are on opposite sides of the plane of union of two carbon atoms, or on opposite sides of the plane of the ring in a cyclic compound. It is, therefore, complementary to cis-. Thus maleic acid is a cis-derivative, and fumaric acid a trans-compound
- n. A prefix of Latin origin, meaning ‘across, over, beyond, on the other side of, through,’ as in transfer, ‘carry over,’ transfuse, ‘pour over,’ transgress, ‘pass beyond,’ etc., transalpine, ‘beyond the Alps,’ etc. (in the last use opposed to cis-).
- n. An abbreviation of transactions, translated or translator, transpose, transitive, etc.
Growth in Baltic volumes is being led by demand for trans- shipment, in which cargo to and from less-developed harbors is sent via west-European ports served by bigger vessels with a greater variety of long-distance routes.
The carrier said its long-haul business is stable, with "strength in the premium sector," and the melding of trans- Atlantic schedules between BA, Iberia and American is beginning to grab market share, Walsh said today on the conference call.
Even if sexual orientation were a choice, aren’t we a country where we’re supposed to be free to pursue our happiness, whether we’re hetero-, homo-, bi-, trans-, or even a-sexual?
And an instant later, Si Cwan’s and Zak Kebron’s bodies dissipated as the miraculous trans- porter beams kicked in, sending their molecules hurtling through the darkness of space to be reassembled in the place that was their only hope for survival: the science vessel Kayven Ryin.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.