from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A style of painting that gives an illusion of photographic reality.
- n. A painting or effect created in this style.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A genre of still life painting that exploits human vision to create the illusion that the subject of the painting is real.
- n. A painting of this kind.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a painting rendered in such great detail as to deceive the viewer concerning its reality
French trompe l'œil : trompe, third person sing. present tense of tromper, to deceive + le, the + œil, eye.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From the French trompe-l’œil ("trompe l’oeil", literally "deceives the eye"), from trompe (“deceives”, the third-person singular indicative simple present form of tromper, “to deceive”) + l’ (“t’”, the prevocalic form of le, “the”) + œil ("eye"). (Wiktionary)