from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A distention of the abdomen resulting from the accumulation of gas or air in the intestine or peritoneal cavity. Also called tympany.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A distended abdomen as a result of an accumulation of gas.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A flatulent distention of the belly; tympany.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Distention of the abdomen caused by the presence of air either in the intestine or in the cavity of the peritoneum; abdominal tympanism.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. distension of the abdomen that is caused by the accumulation of gas in the intestines or the peritoneal cavity
Middle English, from Late Latin tympanītēs, from Greek tumpanītēs, from tumpanon, drum.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Coined based on Ancient Greek τύμπανον (tumpanon). (Wiktionary)