American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A distention of the abdomen resulting from the accumulation of gas or air in the intestine or peritoneal cavity. Also called tympany.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Distention of the abdomen caused by the presence of air either in the intestine or in the cavity of the peritoneum; abdominal tympanism.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Med.) A flatulent distention of the belly; tympany.
- n. distension of the abdomen that is caused by the accumulation of gas in the intestines or the peritoneal cavity
- Coined based on Ancient Greek τύμπανον (tumpanon). (Wiktionary)
- Middle English, from Late Latin tympanītēs, from Greek tumpanītēs, from tumpanon, drum. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“On March 31 there was slight tympanites and tenderness in the right iliac fossa.”
“The participants seemed to suffer greatly from tympanites which was generally relieved by compression or thumping on the abdomen.”
“Arton 12.131 reports the case of a negro of fifty who suffered from tympanites.”
“Collins 12.133 describes spontaneous rupture of the stomach in a woman of seventy-four, the subject of lateral curvature of the spine, who had frequent attacks of indigestion and tympanites.”
“The abdomen was distended with tympanites and the rectum much dilated with accumulated feces.”
“Arton reports the case of a negro of fifty who suffered from tympanites.”
“Again, the opium masked the case dreadfully; for it produced vomiting at that stage of the case when there should have been no trouble with the stomach at all, and induced a tympanites that was mistaken for the same state brought on by peritonitis.”
“This tympanites cannot be from peritonitis for perforation would be necessary to cause it and nothing would stop the progress after it had once started except to open the cavity wash and drain.”
“Indeed the tympanites alone would have killed him.”
“Neither of these cases had any tympanites worth mentioning.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘tympanites’.
Looking for tweets for tympanites.