American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adv. In or of the month before the present one: on the 15th ultimo.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In the month which preceded the present; in the last month, as distinguished from the current or present month and all others. It is usually abbreviated ult.: as, on the 12th ult.—that is, on the 12th day ‘in the last month,’ ultimo being a Latin adjective agreeing with mense, month, understood. Compare
instant, adjective, 1, and proximo.
- adj. obsolete On the last day (of a specified month).
- adv. Of last month.
- n. obsolete, rare = ultimum
GNU Webster's 1913
- In the month immediately preceding the present; ; -- usually abbreviated to ult. Cf. proximo.
- adj. in or of the month preceding the present one
- First attested in 1622; from either the Italian ultimo, or the Portuguese ultimo, or the Spanish ultimo; compare ultime. (Wiktionary)
- Latin ultimō (mēnse), in the last (month), ablative of ultimus, last; see ultimate. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Besides the loss which he sustained on the night of the 23d ultimo, which is estimated at 400, he cannot have suffered less between that period and the morning of the 18th instant than 3000; having, within that time, been repulsed in two general attempts to drive us from our position, and there having been continual cannonading and skirmishing during the whole of it.”
“A pair of diverticula arise from the fifth branchial pouch and form what are termed the ultimo-branchial bodies (Fig. 1175): these fuse with the thyroid gland, but probably contribute no true thyroid tissue.”
“I have to thank you for your favor of the 31st ultimo, which is just now received.”
“MY DEAR SIR, -- I have to thank you for your favor of the 31st ultimo, which is just now received.”
“The rest of the class looked at me like I was crazy, because 'ultimo' in Spanish means only 'last' or 'most recent' and not 'definitive'.”
“May 3rd, 2010 at 8: 54 pm federico dio un concierto aqui en chicago en el ultimo verano a la festival Lollapalooza.”
“All the ultimate hum about Virna Lisi only during TrendHeadlines.com. ultimo spettacolo: A domanda rispondo.”
“La gente que se siente afectada por no tener el ultimo chichito tecnologico o pagarlo un poco más, solo piensan en su hedonismo y no en el país, que sí necesita afianzar su industria, como la supo tener y que necesita dar trabajo a los argentinos, en lugar de darle trabajo a los obreros de otras latitudes; es muy mezquina la actitud de los detractores a esta idea.”
“Lo ultimo que dijeron fue que harian lo posible para que terminara viejo la carrera osea que no me dejarian terminar jamas.”
Superman Could Fly Again in 2009 : SF Universe - SF Universe is your Science Fiction central. From SciFi television to movies to books and more. All the latest news, reviews and insights from SciFi experts.
“Eso de que el ultimo español abandonó la isla en el 98 es relativo.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘ultimo’.
Good for intermediate and advanced spellers and anybody who wants to use words with precision
Beformitables; previousness, past-referents, and origins.
Looking for tweets for ultimo.