from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Not designated for a specific use.
- adj. Not possessed by, spoken for, or formally assigned to a particular person or organization.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. That has not been appropriated for a specific use, or assigned to a specific person or organization.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Not specially appropriate; having no special application.
- adj. Not granted to any person, corporation, or the like, to the exclusion of others.
- adj. Not granted for, or applied to, any specific purpose.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Not appropriated.
- Not applied or directed to be applied to any other object, as money or funds: as, unappropriated funds in the treasury.
- Not granted or given to any person, company, or corporation: as, unappropriated lands.
- Not appropriated by any person: as, an unappropriated subject for a poem.
un- + appropriated (Wiktionary)