from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An increase, especially a small or incremental one: last week's uptick in interest rates.
- n. A transaction in a stock market security above the price of the previous transaction.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A small change upwards or increase in something that has been steady or declining.
- n. A stock market transaction or quote at a price above a preceding one.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a transaction in the stock market at a price above the price of the preceding transaction
From the indication of a rise in price of a stock by a plus sign on boards above stock market stations.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
up + tick (Wiktionary)