American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A blue or green powder consisting of basic cupric acetate used as a paint pigment and fungicide.
- n. A green patina or crust of copper sulfate or copper chloride formed on copper, brass, and bronze exposed to air or seawater for long periods of time.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A substance obtained by exposing plates of copper to the air in contact with acetic acid, and much used as a pigment, as a mordant in dyeing wool black, in calico-printing, and in gilding, in several processes in the chemical arts, and in medicine. Verdigris, like all the compounds into which copper enters, is poisonous; and it is very apt to form on the surface of copper utensils, owing to the action of vegetable juices. It is, chemically, a crystalline salt known as the basic acetate of copper. It ranges in hue from green to greenish-blue, according to the proportions of acetic acid and copper contained. As a pigmeut it is fairly permanent, but has little body, and is generally used only as a glazing color.
- To cause to be coated with verdigris; cover or coat with verdigris.
- n. A blue-green patina that forms on copper-containing metals.
- n. chemistry, dated Copper acetate.
- n. The colour of this patina or material.
- v. To cover, or coat, with verdigris.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Chem.) A green poisonous substance used as a pigment and drug, obtained by the action of acetic acid on copper, and consisting essentially of a complex mixture of several basic copper acetates.
- n. colloq. The green rust formed on copper.
- v. rare To cover, or coat, with verdigris.
- n. a blue or green powder used as a paint pigment
- v. color verdigris
- n. a green patina that forms on copper or brass or bronze that has been exposed to the air or water for long periods of time
- From french vert-de-gris. (Wiktionary)
- Middle English vertegrez, from Old French verte grez, alteration of vert-de-Grice : verd, green; see verdant + de, of (from Latin dē; see de-) + Grice, Greece. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“In the same way they put in plates of copper and make verdigris, which is called "aeruca.”
“The trace of tarnished copper, commonly called verdigris, poisoned the wholesome draught; a minute dose administered by stealth did incalculable mischief.”
“There is a school of thought that says the alchemists mistook vitriol for verdigris, which is copper (II) acetate.”
“Orpiment made a brilliant yellow pigment, but it turned an unattractive dark shade when mixed with or placed close to copper - or lead-based colors such as verdigris or vermilion.”
“Some organic acids form copper salts, which generally are toxic, such as verdigris induced by acetic, lactic or tartaric acids.”
“With regard to the colic, I think it is occasioned by the verdigris which is mixed with every thing they eat or drink.”
Perils and Captivity Comprising The sufferings of the Picard family after the shipwreck of the Medusa, in the year 1816; Narrative of the captivity of M. de Brisson, in the year 1785; Voyage of Madame Godin along the river of the Amazons, in the year 1770.
“* littlebuhnee: crocheted treasure tote ( "Choosing of the Fairest") * sealgair: earrings: Turquoise, copper wire & "verdigris" feathers.”
“She held the verdigris watering can in one muddy hand.”
“I can see the maple tree outside the window, and beyond it, the old field on one side and the park with the verdigris Revolutionary War statue on the other.”
“The art-house chain MK2 has two multiplexes on either side of the Canal de l'Ourcq and a jaunty, white electric boat that shuttles across the verdigris water.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘verdigris’.
A lits of greens: cooked leafy vegetables; pigments, paint names, compound words, etc; words and phrases that pertain to or contain "green". Please add your favorites!
See this list f...
Words used quite often in steampunk
All things descriptive from JG
// god mandated attempt to realign with the timeless forces of the universe via remastered locution //
Words for colors, including things so associated with a color that they can be used in reference to a color.
Temporary list is temporary.
Collecting a few words here, which are then to be alloted to other lists.
how many words can I make mine this summer?
Fissiparous Weekly Standard Nigeria a fissiparous country 3/2012
Looking for tweets for verdigris.