from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A commissioned rank in the U.S. Navy or Coast Guard that is above rear admiral and below admiral.
- n. One who holds this rank.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A naval rank between rear admiral and admiral
- n. A flag officer in the United States Navy, Coast Guard, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Commissioned Corps, or Public Health Service Commissioned Corps having a grade superior to rear admiral (upper half) and junior to admiral. A vice admiral is equal in grade or rank to a lieutenant general, which is indicated by a 3-star insignia.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. A civil officer, in Great Britain, appointed by the lords commissioners of the admiralty for exercising admiralty jurisdiction within their respective districts.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A degree of the rank of admiral. See admiral, 2.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an admiral ranking below a full admiral and above a rear admiral
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.