American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A large kangaroo (Macropus robustus) having reddish or gray fur and living in the hilly regions of Australia.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A native name of some of the great kangaroos, as Macropus robustus.
- n. Any of three closely related species of moderately large macropods, intermediate in size between the kangaroos and the wallabies.
- n. The common wallaroo, Macropus robustus; the most common and widely spread species of the three.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Zoöl.) Any one of several species of kangaroos of the genus Macropus, especially Macropus robustus, sometimes called the great wallaroo.
- From Dharug walaru. (Wiktionary)
- Dharuk walaru. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The mammals include a number of well-known animals such as the eastern grey kangaroo Macropus giganteus, the red-necked wallaby M. rufogriseus, wallaroo M. robustus, koala Phasocarctos cinereus and wombat Vombatus ursinus, the greater glider Petaurus volans, the squirrel glider P. norfolcensis, mountain brushtailed possum Trichosurus caninus; also the rarer spotted-tailed quoll Dasyurus maculatus (VU), long-nosed potoroo Potorous tridactylus (VU), yellow-bellied glider Petaurus australis and brush-tailed rock wallaby Petrogale penicillata (VU).”
“It has not yet been determined by baraminologists whether kangaroos form a holobaramin with the wallaby, tree-kangaroo, wallaroo, pademelon and quokka, or if all these species are in fact apobaraminic or polybaraminic.”
“The wallaroo can reach heights of 55 inches, enjoys rock climbing and grass and shrubs.”
“Apparently, this wallaroo has the name Bandit, was some guy's pet until it escaped a couple weeks ago.”
“Twenty two native mammals are found in the park including dingo Canis familiaris dingo, red kangaroo Macropus rufus, common wallaroo M. robustus, marsupial mole Notoryctes typhlops, spinifex hopping mouse Notomys alexis, several bat species including Australian false vampire Marcoderma gigas (V), bilby Macrotis lagotis (E), occasional short nosed echidna Tachyglossus aculeatus and several small marsupials and native rodents.”
“Endemic mammals native to the sandstone massif include the Arnhem Land rock-rat (Zyzomys maini) and the black wallaroo (Macropus bernardus).”
“His pets -- Bucky Buckaroo the wallaroo and Pancho the goat -- escaped and wandered around St. Lucie County before being captured.”
“What's telling is to compile things like lists of English words for kangaroo or desert: roo, wallaby, wallaroo, joey, pademelon, euro ...”
“HEMMER: Singer Vanilla Ice has found himself wrapped up with Florida officials after a goat and a wallaroo escaped from his yard.”
“There is the kangaroo rat, very small; the "flying kangaroo," a rare animal of the squirrel species, but marsupial, which lives in trees; the wallaby, the wallaroo, the paddy-melon (medium varieties of kangaroo); the grey and the red kangaroo, the last the biggest and finest of the species.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘wallaroo’.
Words for the diehard intermediate and advanced spellers
endemic species of terra australis
Names of some of our non-placental animal friends
Kangaroos and other marsupials.
Looking for tweets for wallaroo.