from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A huntsman who keeps the hounds from wandering, and whips them in, if necessary, to the of chase.
- n. Hence, one who enforces the discipline of a party, and urges the attendance and support of the members on all necessary occasions.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In hunting, one who keeps the hounds from wandering, and whips them in, if necessary, to the line of chase.
- n. In the game of hare and hounds, one who leads the hounds, sets the pace, etc.
- n. Hence, in British Parliament, same as whip, 3 .
- n. In racing slang, a horse that finishes last, or near the last, in a race.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. huntsman's assistant in managing the hounds
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.