from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A collaborative website whose content can be edited by anyone who has access to it.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A collaborative website which can be directly edited merely using a web browser, often by anyone with access to it.
- v. To research on Wikipedia or some similar wiki.
- v. To conduct research on a wiki.
- v. To contribute to a wiki.
- v. To participate in the wiki-based production of.
Originally an abbreviation of WikiWikiWeb, software developed by American computer programmer Howard G. Cunningham (born 1949) : Hawaiian wikiwiki, quick + web.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
1995. Abbreviated from WikiWikiWeb, from Hawaiian wikiwiki ("quick") + English web. (Wiktionary)