from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of several large marine game fishes of the genus Seriola, having a yellow or yellowish tail, such as S. dorsalis, of coastal waters of southern California and Mexico.
- n. Any of several other fishes having a yellowish tail, as the silver perch.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A fish native to the northwest Pacific, often used in sushi.
- n. Any of various fish, see Wikipedia
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Any one of several species of marine carangoid fishes of the genus Seriola; especially, the large California species (Seriola dorsalis) which sometimes weighs thirty or forty pounds, and is highly esteemed as a food fish; -- called also cavasina, and white salmon.
- n. The mademoiselle, or silver perch.
- n. The menhaden.
- n. The runner, 12.
- n. A California rockfish (Sebastodes flavidus).
- n. The sailor's choice (Diplodus rhomboides).
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An earthworm yellow about the tail.
- n. One of various fishes.
- n. A fish, Ocyurus chrysurus, belonging to the family Lutianidæ, and found from Florida to Brazil.
- n. In Victoria and New South Wales, Trachurus declivis, a species slightly different from the horse-mackerel of Europe.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. game fish of southern California and Mexico having a yellow tail fin
- n. superior food fish of the tropical Atlantic and Caribbean with broad yellow stripe along the sides and on the tail
Sorry, no etymologies found.
But work with me here - it does use red pepper powder, and technically yellowtail is mostly found in Baja California (at least in North America), which is part of Mexico!
And as I mentioned in my Yellowtail Nigiri  post, yellowtail is actually a type of jack fish, so this being called a “Jack Fish Roll” actually makes a lot of sense.
The yellowtail is a super duper powerful swimmer and has a very aerodynamic … er … aquadynamic?
A little background information about yellowtail: A lot of people think that yellowtail is a type of tuna.
And as I mentioned in my Yellowtail Nigiri post, yellowtail is actually a type of jack fish, so this being called a “Jack Fish Roll” actually makes a lot of sense.
Yellowtail: 260G The name yellowtail is actually used for a number of fish.
YELLOWTAIL: 260G Level 1, Size 30 The name yellowtail is actually used for a number of fish.
SavoryTV - You’re welcome, and I agree - yellowtail is quite delicious.
The cold and hot Asian tapas menus include bites such as crispy calamari (65 Hong Kong dollars, or about US$8), dungeness crab fritter (HK$75) and a dish called "yellowtail jalapeno" (HK$105), which comes with papaya relish, kaffir lime and cilantro.
But the yellowtail was the best yellowtail sushi I've ever had.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.