from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A toy consisting of a flattened spool wound with string that is spun down from and reeled up to the hand by motions of the wrist.
- n. Informal One that undergoes frequent abrupt shifts or reversals, as of opinion or emotion; a vacillator.
- n. Slang A stupid or objectionable person.
- intransitive v. Informal To undergo frequent abrupt shifts or reversals, as of opinion or emotion; vacillate.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A toy consisting of a spheroidal or cylindrical spindle having a circular groove in which string is wound; it is used by holding the string in the fingers and reeling the spindle up and down by movements of the wrist.
- n. A volatile market that moves up and down.
- n. Someone who vacillates.
- n. A foolish, annoying or incompetent person.
- v. To vacillate; to move up and down.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a toy consisting of a spool that is reeled up and down on a string by motions of the hand
Originally a trademark.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)