American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Slang Pizza.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In solmization, a syllable once used for Bь.
- n. An intensive or augmentative prefix sometimes used in forming modern scientific words to emphasize the character or quality noted by the element to which it is prefixed (like E. very, a.), as in zalambdodont, having teeth with a very V-shaped ridge, Zalophus, Zamelodia, Zapus, etc.
- n. obsolete A syllable formerly used in solfège to represent B flat.
- n. US slang, early 1980s Pizza.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Min.) An old solfeggio name for B flat; the seventh harmonic, as heard in the or æolian string; -- so called by Tartini. It was long considered a false, but is the true note of the chord of the flat seventh.
- Shortened from pizza. (Wiktionary)
- Shortening and alteration of pizza. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“For the herbal flavor in za'atar blend, many North American recipes use only dried domestic thyme, or a mixture of domestic thyme and domestic marjoram.”
“The epicenter of great 'za is Wooster Square in New Haven, Connecticut.”
“The following herbs are often mistakenly referred to as za'atar: Syrian oregano (oreganum syricum), biblical hyssop, and thyme-leaved savory (satureja thryba), among others.”
“The most recent update, the fourth version, made way for "za" and its ilk, making the rare letters easier to play.”
“For some -- especially opponents -- "za" is too cheap and easy.”
“Sumac is sometimes incorporated into spice rubs, such as za'atar, which also consists of thyme, salt and toasted sesame seeds.”
“Now I've got a craving for some zayt w'za'atar like you described......i know what's for dinner tonight!”
“Radka szanuje i smialo moge stwierdzic, ze polubilam, wiec oby zawsze im to sloneczko swiecilo, ktore dzis im swieci. to jest Jego wybor, ale jesli jest rozsadny, to spojrzy na sprawe z roznych stron i chociaz jedno "za" i "przeciw" przemysli.”
“That'll be the game my ex beat me at because she knew the word 'za' was a word.”
“Acquittal sought for cross-dressed man in Dubai," by Bassam Za'za 'for GulfNews, July 7 (thanks to Miss Kelly):”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘za’.
Ever play "Words With Friends" with someone and they throw down some strange, unlikely group of letters that makes even the most mild and squeaky clean tongued person say "whiskey tango foxtrot"? ...
The monsters of Doctor Who.
Those foreign, abbreviated, hyphenated, or capitalized words that make you want to scream "aa" and throw the board at your opponent.
Words with interesting comments. This doesn't mean I'm adding schadenfreude.
Official Scrabble for the iPhone.
You may start on any key. You may repeat a character, or travel to an adjacent key on the keyboard. On my qwerty keyboard, I may follow s with w, e, d, x, z, a, or (repeating) s. (If you use az...
All playable 2 letter Scrabble words from OSPD4
Looking for tweets for za.