from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A spectral ship said to appear in storms near the Cape of Good Hope.
- n. The captain of this ship, a legendary Dutch mariner condemned to sail the seas against the wind until Judgment Day.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A Dutch-flagged clipper that is very fast sailing, and never makes it to port, seen on the high seas, where upon being hailed, occupants request information on persons long dead, or leave messages for said people. It is considered bad luck to meet said ship.
- proper n. A ship of similar qualities to the Flying Dutchman.
- proper n. A ghost ship.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. A spectral ship.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the captain of a phantom ship (the Flying Dutchman) who was condemned to sail against the wind until Judgment Day
- n. a phantom ship that is said to appear in storms near the Cape of Good Hope
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.