from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A word formed from the initial letters of a name, such as WAC for Women's Army Corps, or by combining initial letters or parts of a series of words, such as radar for radio detecting and ranging.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An abbreviation formed by (usually initial) letters taken from a word or series of words, that is itself pronounced as a word, such as RAM, radar, or scuba; sometimes contrasted with initialism.
- n. A pronounceable word formed from the beginnings (letter or syllable) of other words and thus representing the phrase so formed, e.g. Benelux = the countries Belgium, Netherlands and Luxembourg considered as a political or economic whole.
- n. Any abbreviation so formed, regardless of pronunciation, such as TNT, IBM, or XML.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a word formed from the initial letters of the several words in the name
In the book it states the letters in the title acronym stand for the four main components of productive meetings.
The group, whose acronym is Spanish for "enough," said if the council members don't step down by Monday's council meeting, it will begin working for their recall.
Super Video Graphics Array (SVGA): This acronym is short for the "Super Video Graphics Array" display mode.
Video Graphics Array (VGA): This acronym is short for the "Video Graphics Array" display mode.
The term acronym, although said to have originated some time in the 1940s, took time to achieve dictionary recognition.
In the context of your story, the acronym is a noun, so it might look weird if you had to write a sentence like this: When the supervillains escaped, the President knew he had to call SURLY.
This acronym is the standard one, appearing as it does in the fanboy magazine Locus.
In my posting on almost-recursive acronyms, I noted that the company Cygnus, whose name expands to “Cygnus, Your GNU Support,” was not guilty of what I referred to as acronym stacking.
The acronym is a total, unmitigated disaster for anyone entering this space ….
Actually, if you include every word, the acronym is TARARA.