from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of several chiefly tropical American bulbous plants of the genus Hippeastrum grown as ornamentals for their large, showy, funnel-shaped, variously colored flowers that are grouped in umbels.
- n. See belladonna lily.
- n. Any of several similar or related plants.
- n. Used in classical pastoral poetry as a conventional name for a shepherdess.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The Belladonna lily
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A pastoral sweetheart.
- n. A family of plants much esteemed for their beauty, including the narcissus, jonquil, daffodil, agave, and others.
- n. A genus of the same family, including the Belladonna lily.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A genus of bulbous plants, natural order Amaryllidaceœ, with large, bright-colored, lilyshaped flowers upon a stout scape.
- n. [lowercase] A plant of this genus.
- n. 3. In zoology, a genus of crustaceans.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. bulbous plant having showy white to reddish flowers
With my office covered in amaryllis and tulips, I've been grinning all day long!
And some of the oxalis tribe yield great returns; and cyclamens are exquisite and expensive; and the amaryllis is doubly ditto, ditto; and ixias, and many more are to be grown, if you have room, money, or opportunity.
Of all flowering bulbs, the amaryllis is the easiest to force a flower.
If cut flowers strike you as too ephemeral, perhaps you'd prefer giving a houseplant such as amaryllis, cyclamen, African violet, paper-white narcissus, orchid, Boston fern, florist hydrangea, hibiscus, crown of thorns Euphorbia milii or spider plant.
Vomiting, diarrhea and lethargy are common signs when cats ingest plants such as amaryllis, mistletoe and holly.
Plants such as amaryllis should be indoors but in an area that's well-lighted and water regularly. water regularly.
Blooming houseplants, such as amaryllis and African violets, keep the color going long after the new year.
Veterinary Pet Insurance Data Reveals Well-Intended Pet Owners Unknowingly Poisoning Their Pets photo to enlargeFlowering bulbs such as amaryllis and paperwhite narcissus could poison a person eating a quantity of bulbs.
The red and white amaryllis I bought for her three days before has bloomed three times, one for each day.
Pause awhile now, be kind enough to remember your own young soul like the amaryllis, as I will, when time had no beginning, nor a middle, and nowhere near an end.