from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or marked by antithesis.
- adj. Being in diametrical opposition. See Synonyms at opposite.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Pertaining to antithesis, or opposition of words and sentiments; containing, or of the nature of, antithesis; contrasted.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to or of the nature of antithesis; directly opposed or contrasted: as, these conceptions are antithetical.
- Containing or abounding in antithesis; characterized by or making use of antithesis.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. sharply contrasted in character or purpose
The Greek puts in antithetical juxtaposition, OUR, and His OWN
Thus far, the data show a recurring rhetorical pattern in which vulnerable groups were identified as antithetical to the core values attributed by the host to himself, his audience, and the nation.
Aaron Lazare, "Go Ahead Say You're Sorry" Psychology Today (Jan-Feb 1995) 22 notes that "the greatest impediment to apology is a pervasive cultural attitude that views apology as a weakness, an emotional expression antithetical to traditional American values of autonomy and independence."
Or, conversely, isn't the character of modern American life strangely illuminated by -- and compatible with -- that entity that is so often described as antithetical to it, the mafia?
Brendan is quite right that Voltaire was basically a Deist, and he would be right to be narked if I were to suggest that Catholicism is 'antithetical' to religion; but I would never argue anything so foolish.
And they have certain principles that are kind of antithetical to what the Republicans want.
Remember, the link that Santorum sees between homosexuality and polygamy is that they're both "antithetical" to the "healthy" family -- so there's obviously something other than careful constitutional analysis going on here. posted by Eric 2: 32 PM |
But a Times veteran, voice rising, described Mr. Feuer's portrayal as "antithetical" to Mr. Landman.
They do have a page where it’s asserted that creation doesn’t necesarily mean “fiat creation,” and that evolution and creation aren’t supposed to be antithetical, which is good.
There's nothing "antithetical" about this bill to anybodies ideals as it pertains to binging health reform to the citizens.