from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- adjective Of, relating to, or based on a hypothesis.
- adjective Conditional; contingent.
- noun A hypothetical circumstance, condition, scenario, or situation.
from The Century Dictionary.
- Same as
hypothetic, and the more common form.
- A proposition consisting of two or more clauses united by conjunctions, or which states a relation to exist between different possibilities.
- noun A hypothetical proposition.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- adjective Based upon a
- adjective philosophy
conditional; contingentupon some hypothesis/ antecedent
- noun A hypothetical situation or proposition
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun a hypothetical possibility, circumstance, statement, proposal, situation, etc.
- adjective based primarily on surmise rather than adequate evidence
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
I pointed out that your hypothetical is a complete distortion of how we actually use bridges and fund that usage, and has nothing to do with HSR.
Of course, my hypothetical is theoretical, as I am not talking about a real thing that has attributes A, B, and C.
ARENA: Well, you know, both those men have refused to deal with what they call hypothetical situations.
Warner Johnson, an ESDC spokesperson, declined to discuss what he called hypothetical changes to eminent domain law, but he reaffirmed its importance.
The Gallup survey shows similar results to those of a recent CNN poll that also indicated the same three Republicans are locked in hypothetical race for the party's nomination.
Scales said he was speaking to Sterner in hypothetical terms.
The problem I have with your hypothetical is that libertarian paternalism, like cost-benefit analysis, is designed to be governing philosophy for a broad range of policy decisions (even if it has not yet been widely adopted).
According to the survey, Dodd is losing or tied with all of his potential Republican challengers in hypothetical 2010 general election matchups.
The poll also indicates that Cuomo, a Democrat who is expected to announce that he's running for governor, holds very large leads over possible Republican contenders in hypothetical general election matchups.
Your hypothetical is completely irrelevant to the issue we are discussing.
New comments are temporarily disabled while we update our database.