from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Precisely meaningful; forceful and brief: a pithy comment.
- adj. Consisting of or resembling pith.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Concise and meaningful.
- adj. Of, like, or abounding in pith.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Consisting wholly, or in part, of pith; abounding in pith
- adj. Having nervous energy; forceful; cogent.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of the nature of or full of pith; containing or abounding with pith: as, a pithy stem; a pithy substance.
- Full of pith or force; forcible; containing much in a concentrated or dense form; of style, sententious: as, a pithy saying or expression.
- Given to the use of pithy or forcible expressions.
- Synonyms and Terse, laconic, concise, pointed, sententious.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. concise and full of meaning
After all, men prefer to "blink," a term I picked up from Dell Global Marketing VP Andy Lark, who himself loves to blog in short, pithy sentences.
But I have to remember that, as addicting as it is to deal in pithy statements, editors seem to like things that are longer, and longer works require more effort.
His blazing contempt for people is couched in pithy, derivative “wit” and helpful pointers on how they could and should be more like him.
This pithy is word is gleaned from World Wide Words.
Now you can follow my adventures on and off the beach in short, pithy, bursts.
Comments seelight, i am so glad that you're taxonomizing your language peeves! and i agree with much of what you say, even if it means that i've now re-written this little comment some eight times or howevermany already. but i've got to respond to your post on pithy, which was not so, um, pithy. pithy is a great word, because it specifically means "a maximum of effect from a minimum of words."
He excels in short, pithy work at the hard-science end of the spectrum.
He talked quite a bit about the perceived value of a bullet point and the meaningfulness, or lack of meaning contained in short pithy statements, illustrating his points with sample Power Point slides from Bible sites and marriage counseling sites.
The City is always coining pithy little epigrams like this.
City is always coining pithy little epigrams like this.