from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An aromatic gum resin similar to myrrh, produced by certain Asian and African shrubs or trees of the genus Commiphora.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Probably an aromatic gum like balsam that was exuded from a tree, probably one of several species in the genus Commiphora.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An unidentified substance mentioned in the Bible (Gen. ii. 12, and Num. xi. 7), variously taken to be a gum, a precious stone, or pearls, or perhaps a kind of amber found in Arabia.
- n. A gum resin of reddish brown color, brought from India, Persia, and Africa.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A name given to two aromatic gum-resins, similar to myrrh, but weaker.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. aromatic gum resin; similar to myrrh
It may be noticed that the resemblance of the manna to coriander seed was not in the color, but in the size and figure; and from its comparison to bdellium, which is either a drop of white gum or
"bdellium" mentioned by Moses in Genesis is a perfuming gum, resembling frankincense, if not identical with it.
Parivartan Sharma/Reuters Smoke from bdellium rose from a roadside stall in New Delhi, Tuesday.
(Soundbite of "Crazy ABC's") Mr. ROBERTSON: "A" is for aisle, B is bdellium, C is for czar, and if you see him would you mind telling him ...
In the Bible the word “bdellium” is used to describe the appearance of Manna.
And the gold of that land is good: there is bdellium and the onyx stone.
They were brimful of myrobalan, bdellium, saffron, and violets.
The name of the first is Pison: that is it which compasseth the whole land of Hav'ilah, where there is gold; and the gold of that land is good: there is bdellium and the onyx stone.
¶ And the manna was as coriander seed, and the color thereof as the color of bdellium.
-- Ed.  "There is bdellium and the onyx-stone."