from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun Noble or aristocratic descent.
- noun A member of the aristocracy.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun a member of the nobility or aristocracy, or a person of high social status.
- noun the quality of status that qualifies one as a
blue blood; -- used metaphorically, as “They have blue bloodin their veins.”.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun uncountable
nobleor aristocratic ancestry
- noun countable an
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun a member of the aristocracy
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
[Translation of Spanish sangre azul : sangre, blood + azul, blue (probably from the visible veins of fair-complexioned aristocrats).]
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
A calque of Spanish sangre azul.
Help support Wordnik (and make this page ad-free) by adopting the word blue blood.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.