from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Noble or aristocratic descent.
- n. A member of the aristocracy.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. noble or aristocratic ancestry
- n. an aristocrat
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. See under Blood.
- n. the blood of noble or aristocratic families, which, according to a Spanish prover , has in it a tinge of blue; -- hence, a member of an old and aristocratic family.
- n. a member of the nobility or aristocracy, or a person of high social status.
- n. the quality of status that qualifies one as a blue blood; -- used metaphorically, as “They have blue blood in their veins.”.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a member of the aristocracy
Translation of Spanish sangre azul : sangre, blood + azul, blue (probably from the visible veins of fair-complexioned aristocrats).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
A calque of Spanish sangre azul. (Wiktionary)
Sorry, no example sentences found.