from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A projecting structure, such as a beam, that is supported at one end and carries a load at the other end or along its length.
- n. A member, such as a beam, that projects beyond a fulcrum and is supported by a balancing member or a downward force behind the fulcrum.
- n. A bracket or block supporting a balcony or cornice.
- transitive v. To construct as or in the manner of a cantilever.
- intransitive v. To extend outward as or in the manner of a cantilever.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A beam anchored at one end and projecting into space, such as a long bracket projecting from a wall to support a balcony.
- v. To project in the manner of a cantilever, or to project (something) by means of a cantilever
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Same as cantalever.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. See cantaliver.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. projecting horizontal beam fixed at one end only
- v. construct with girders and beams such that only one end is fixed
- v. project as a cantilever
The construction of the arched roof is on the plan which engineers know as the cantilever, and not that of the Roman arch.
They together form what is called a cantilever; if you lay the letter V on its side, the open end will represent roughly the place where the arch and girders start from the tower.
And with the change came the bridging - over period -- the kind of cantilever which hope thrusts out from one side of the bank of the swift-flowing stream of adversity in the belief that somebody on the other side of the chasm will build the other half, and the two form a highway leading to a change of scene and renewed prosperity.
Comment on Free beer & hotdogs at the Gowanus Yacht Club this weekend by Jacqueline Jones Comment on Watty & Meg to replace Caffé Carciofo by Cobble Hill Blog » Watty & Meg signage going up right now Studio for Civil Architecture has created a proposal for enclosing the BQE cantilever which is schedule for
Indeed, during the same period, inconsistencies and difficulties of using standard, "cantilever" approximations were realised and a true elastic solution was obviously needed to settle the controversy.
For the next few years, you can watch the new eastern span of the Bay Bridge being constructed adjacent to the existing "cantilever" section.
I'd have sworn my cantilever was the only one that could span Michamac Strait. "
I got the combo with the field barrel and the rifled slug barrel with a cantilever scope mount and i love it i shoot remington slugs out of it and its sweet. definately worth the money especially considering the cost of buying the slug barrel alone
As it scans, the cantilever bounces up and down, and data from these movements is compiled to generate a picture of that surface.
Atomic-force microscopy works by scanning a surface with a tiny cantilever whose tip comes to a sharp nanoscale point.