from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A thick heavy covering for a floor, usually made of woven wool or synthetic fibers; a rug.
- n. The fabric used for this floor covering.
- n. A surface or surface covering that is similar to a rug: a carpet of leaves and pine needles on the forest floor.
- transitive v. To cover with or as if with a carpet: carpet the stairs; snow that carpeted the sidewalks.
- idiom on the carpet In a position of being reprimanded by one in authority: was called on the carpet for cheating.
- idiom on the carpet Under discussion or consideration: Several important matters will be on the carpet at today's meeting.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A fabric used as a complete floor covering.
- n. Any surface or cover resembling a carpet or fulfilling its function.
- n. A woman's pubic hair.
- v. To lay carpet, or to have carpet installed, in an area.
- v. To substantially cover something, like a carpet; to blanket something.
- v. To reprimand.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A heavy woven or felted fabric, usually of wool, but also of cotton, hemp, straw, etc.; esp. a floor covering made in breadths to be sewed together and nailed to the floor, as distinguished from a rug or mat; originally, also, a wrought cover for tables.
- n. A smooth soft covering resembling or suggesting a carpet.
- transitive v. To cover with, or as with, a carpet; to spread with carpets; to furnish with a carpet or carpets.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To cover with or as with a carpet; spread with carpets: as, to carpet a room.
- To bring upon the carpet or under consideration; make a subject of investigation; hence, to reprimand; “haul over the coals.”
- n. A thick fabric, usually woven of wool, or of wool on a linen ground or back, and in more or less ornamental designs, used for covering floors, stairs, etc.
- n. Especially, a covering of this material for a floor or stair, made of several widths sewed together and intended to cover all the floor-space of a room, as distinguished, from a rug, which is usually woven in one piece of a definite shape (either oblong or square), and is designed to cover a part of the floor only.
- n. Figuratively, anything used as a carpet, or serving the purpose of a carpet.
- n. A British collectors' name for any one of several species of geometrid moths whose wings bear a carpet-like design, as the flame-carpet (Coremia propugnata) and the hazel-carpet (Cidaria corylata).
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a natural object that resembles or suggests a carpet
- v. cover completely, as if with a carpet
- v. cover with a carpet
- v. form a carpet-like cover (over)
- n. floor covering consisting of a piece of thick heavy fabric (usually with nap or pile)
a Knight Banneret, dubbed in the field of battle, but, _on carpet consideration_, at a festivity, or on sone peaceable occasion, when knights receive their dignity kneeling not on the ground, as in war, but on a _carpet_.
A carpet is assembled by hand and the hair that makes up a carpet comes from the heads of a carpet maker's wives and daughters.
One thing to think about in the B-52 raids -- for some of us we go back to Vietnam, and that's where the term carpet bombing came up.
CNN MILITARY ANALYST: Well, basically we reject the term carpet bombing, because it brings back images of World War II, in which you did indeed carpet bomb cities.
The four of them are a little tipsy as they explain that the carpet is the same color as the ruined one.
Remember that buying a carpet is a long term investment and you need to decide exactly how much money you are willing to spend on it and how long you will use one before you opt to change.
One issue that gets swept under the carpet is the increase in CO2 and other pollutants caused by heavier vehicle usage, and also there may be heavier traffic, causing jams and higher fuel consumption from idling.
Even the carpet is amazing. maryland home contractors
I've been drooling constantly for six years, waiting for this damned game, and my carpet is all slippery and moldy from my saliva.
UNIDENTIFIED MALE: This is what we call a carpet python that was taken, it was caught locally here.