from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A mat placed before a doorway for wiping the shoes.
- n. Slang One who submits meekly to domination or mistreatment by others.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A coarse mat at the entrance to a house, upon which one wipes one's shoes.
- n. Someone who is overly submissive to others' wishes.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a mat placed outside and exterior door for wiping the shoes before entering.
- n. A person who is habitually abused, taken advantage of or humiliated; sometimes, one who is physically weak.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A heavy mat made of hemp, flax, or jute, woven or tied, or of sedge, straw, rushes, etc., or sometimes of caoutchouc, placed before a door for use in cleaning the shoes by those entering.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a mat placed outside an exterior door for wiping the shoes before entering
- n. a person who is physically weak and ineffectual
My favourite out of all the catalogues that plop onto the doormat is the Lakeland one.
And my "Come Back with a Warrant" doormat is a hit with everyone who has seen it.
Perhaps they weighed in their mind that putting the package underneath my doormat and decided somehow that this wouldn’t work, perhaps it would get wet in this way, even though the doormat is well covered, and the package would be further protected by being under said doormat.
The whole of the entrance hall is covered in doormat.
The doormat is a martyr, and the position she takes among her friends is obvious: She isn't one to make her demands known and rarely questions anything.
Me, being the super nice guy, (aka doormat), went home for 3 hours just to return to work and close.
"No one likes being called a doormat or being considered that at this level," center
Invariably though, at 'that time of the month' (when the statement thuds onto my doormat, that is), I just want to see it suffer.
Rubbers are effective against the tranmission of HIV the way a dead frog on the doormat is a good protector against burglars.
When I first worked on "Pigsty," the idea was to try and construct a Greek temple from the dried lumps of mud that had been pushed into a purpose made doormat, so that the doormat is a type of a mold.