from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The principles or system of ownership and control of the means of production and distribution by the people collectively, usually under the supervision of a government.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An economic system in which the means of production and distribution are owned and controlled by the people collectively
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The doctrine that land and capital should be owned by society collectively or as a whole; communism.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The socialistic theory or principle of centralization of all directive social and industrial power, especially of control of the means of production, in the people collectively, or the state: the opposite of individualism.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a political theory that the people should own the means of production
- n. Soviet communism
And yes, all liberals are the same, hence the term collectivism as conservatives are not all the same, hence the term individualism "
Though your argument that collectivism is based on the herd mentality is not completely supported by nature.
Heritage, which recently compared green economic reform to Nazi-Soviet collectivism, is continuing its slide into irrelevance.
And yes, I do want a collectivist society - the idea of collectivism is a good thing, not a bad thing.
From collectivism to collectivism is the real tragedy of these times.
Notwithstanding these advantages of definiteness, the word collectivism has not been widely employed, even in France and Belgium; nor does it promise to supplant the older term in the future.
The word “fascism” comes from the notion of collectivism (ie, sticks bundled together being harder to break).
It's really only enough time to dip our feet in collectivism.
The common good over the individual good is called collectivism and that is socialism.
When oil companies make a profit (as is the goal of every business), and their taxes are forcibly raised and the money redistributed (aka collectivism) to private citizens, it is outright thievery and is everything Ayn Rand and Garet Garret warned us about.