from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The sediment settled at the bottom of a liquid; the lees in a container of unfiltered wine.
- n. The worst and lowest part of something.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- The sediment of liquors; lees; grounds; feculence; any foreign matter of liquors that subsides to the bottom of a vessel containing them.
- Waste or worthless matter; dross; sweepings; refuse; hence, what is most vile and worthless: as, the dregs of society.
- Solid impurities found in raw fats. W. L. Carpenter, Soap and Candles, p. 83
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. sediment that has settled at the bottom of a liquid
I took a leaf (or bag) from my pantry and filled the flavour gap with the subtly nutty Kamut flour I found there, as well as pouring in the dregs from a carton of almond milk in my fridge.
They applaud every utterance by the War Mongerers, the Fear Purveyors, and all the other assorted dregs from the bottom of the American political barrel.
Personally, I have no trouble letting him in, as long as Phelps and Zundel and all the other dregs are allowed to come in and speak wherever they want to whomever they want.
The West has always been a safety valve to siphon these so-called dregs of other nations out of populated areas and prevent any social or political unrest.
But the central body of European society is certainly changed; and, after all, between the scum and the dregs is the good soup.
-- These frequently remain as the so-called dregs of some illness, and are found very persistent.
Paterfamilias is obliged to drink the cup of gaiety to the dregs, which is almost worse than being in office.
Buried with the dregs are the Vikings, Colts and much-hyped Eagles.
Settlers; very justly, I daresay, for a civilised man of the lower order -- that is, the dregs of civilisation -- when thrust back on the savage state becomes worse than a savage.
When I was in undergrad an unemployment rate of 5% represented FULL employment - with only the "dregs" left over -- those who didn't want to work and those who didn't have the requisite skills to hold even a minimum wage job.