from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n.pl. All that is left after other parts have been taken away, used up, or destroyed.
- n.pl. A corpse.
- n.pl. The unpublished writings of a deceased author.
- n.pl. Ancient ruins or fossils.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. What is left after a person (or any organism) dies; a corpse.
- n. Historical or archaeological relics.
- n. The extant writings of a deceased person.
- n. All that is left of the stock of some things; remnants.
- n. Plural form of remain.
- v. Third-person singular simple present indicative form of remain.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any object that is left unused or still extant
- n. the dead body of a human being
Sorry, no etymologies found.
It is from the superficial covering, the thin crust with which the earth is covered, composed of the remains of former existence, of the breccia of exhausted nature, that animal creation derives its support; and it is the grand axiom of the universe, that _animal life can only be supported by animal remains_.
And the term remains a loose one, since many companies not thought of as private-equity firms at all—Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway is a spectacular example—use the same techniques.
The words for “toy doll” are all different, but part of the word remains consistent in all groups of speakers.
The term was originally attached to nine state-run companies in 1997, but the number has since increased, although the name remains the same.
Family charities and the legal profession claim the definition remains too narrow and that alleged perpetrators will not be entitled to legal representation, resulting in many conducting personal cross-examinations.
Whether City will be willing to take his word remains to be seen but it represents another unfortunate development in a summer when Tevez has made it clear he cannot abide the thought of having to go back to Manchester, a city he has made no secret of disliking.
But it is still exciting to see the shop front and Gay's the Word remains a great place to visit, with welcoming, knowledgeable staff and an unparalleled range of lesbian and gay books, from the esoteric to the pulp, as well as regular literary events and discussion groups.
Even with Jack Walker's money, Blackburn winning the title remains a monument to clever team-building.
President Dmitry Medvedev, who despite his title remains Putin's junior partner, has promised to strengthen the rule of law as part of his mission to modernize Russia and attract more foreign investment.
The BLS offers on its website the example of an economist who is promoted to an administrative position, changing her job function even if her title remains economist.