from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The dead body of a human or animal that has been embalmed and prepared for burial, as according to the practices of the ancient Egyptians.
- n. A withered, shrunken, or well-preserved body that resembles an embalmed body.
- n. Informal Mother.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A child's term for mother.
- n. An embalmed corpse wrapped in linen bandages for burial, especially as practised by the ancient Egyptians.
- n. Any naturally preserved human or animal body.
- n. A substance used in medicine, prepared from mummified flesh.
- n. A pulp.
- v. To mummify.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A dead body embalmed and dried after the manner of the ancient Egyptians; also, a body preserved, by any means, in a dry state, from the process of putrefaction.
- n. Dried flesh of a mummy.
- n. A gummy liquor that exudes from embalmed flesh when heated; -- formerly supposed to have magical and medicinal properties.
- n. A brown color obtained from bitumen. See Mummy brown (below).
- n. A sort of wax used in grafting, etc.
- n. One whose affections and energies are withered.
- transitive v. To embalm; to mummify.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A dead human body embalmed and dried after the manner of the ancient Egyptian preparation for burial.
- n. The substance of a mummy; a medicinal preparation supposed to consist of the substance of mummies or of dead bodies; hence, a medicinal liquor or gum in general. Also mummia. See first quotation under mummia.
- n. In horticulture, a kind of wax used in grafting and planting trees.
- n. A brown color prepared from the asphalt taken from Egyptian mummies, and used as an oil-color by artists.
- To embalm; mummify.
- n. A mummychog.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. informal terms for a mother
- n. a body embalmed and dried and wrapped for burial (as in ancient Egypt)
I think a mummy is absolutely hilarious!!! the mummy & skeleton show episode 1
The mystery of the mummy is also handled fairly well -- if a bit "Scooby-doo-esque" as Jym put it.
Mention the word mummy, and you probably think of the shiny case of King Tut or the linen-bandaged walking dead in a George A. Romero film.
It could be, could be, that 'mummy' is a single mum who raises baby in an environment where everyone is on benefits.
We all know if mummy is happy, everyone in the house is, and if mummy is not happy, God help you if you cross her path
"If mummy is happy, everyone in the house is, and if mummy is not happy, God help you if you cross her path."
A mummy is actually any body that has been dried out; this can happen in ice, in acid bogs, and in the desert.
Oh, should I mention that my 8 year old still firmly believes in Santa, absolutely no question, coz whilst mummy is a hard ass, Santa is truly “Tough Love”!!!!
I totally agree with the upstairs being worse …. my mirror gets smudged with baby fingers covered in mummy expensive face cream or various hair lotions and potions that are so attractively packaged to the wee ones.
… We should know who our mummy is by spring of next year