from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun A list, especially of the names of players on a sports team or of the personnel in a military unit.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun An obsolete form of
- noun In the British and the United States regular armies, a list showing the turn or rotation of service or duty of those who relieve or succeed each other; specifically, a military list or register showing or fixing the rotation in which individuals, companies, or regiments are called into service.
- noun In Massachusetts and Connecticut, a list of the officers of a division, brigade, regiment, etc., containing, under several heads, their names, rank, corps, place of abode, etc. These are called division rosters, brigade rosters, regimental or battalion rosters. Bartlett.
- noun Hence, any roll, list, or register of names.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun (Mil.) A register or roll showing the order in which officers, enlisted men, companies, or regiments are called on to serve.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun A
listof names, usually for an organization of some kind such as military officersand enlisted personnel enrolledin a particular unit; a muster roll; or a sports team, with the names of players who are eligible to be placed in the lineup for a particular game.
- noun A list of the
jobsto be done by membersof an organization and often with the date/time that they are expected to do them.
- verb The act of placing a name on a roster.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun a list of names
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
Posey said accountability up and down the roster is the reason for Boston's success on defense.
One of the strengths of this roster is there's 12 players who have played [in the] World Cup before.
Since Andy Murray has taken over the team the roster is a plus-50. ...
Sure, but Iverson's name on the roster is the only proof he's still with Philadelphia, and that connection is thinner than the paper it's printed on.
Except for third-string center DJ Mbenga, out for the year after tearing a ligament in his right knee, everyone on the roster is available to play. ...
He has informed every GM that just about anyone on the roster is available, the only exceptions being third baseman Eric
The fact that infielder Henry Mateo made the roster is a sign that the Expos are concerned about All-Star second baseman Jose Vidro.
The Blue Jays say that everyone on their roster is available in trade except outfielder Vernon Wells, and infielders
E1 will add Sumerian to its label roster for North America starting in March 2010.
There are still six slots on the main roster to be revealled, plus there are quite possibly some unlockables ontop of that.