from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. See red blood cell.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An anucleate cell in the blood involved with the transport of oxygen. Also called a red blood cell because of the red coloring of hemoglobin.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A red blood-corpuscle as distinguished from a white or colorless blood-corpuscle (leucocyte).
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a mature blood cell that contains hemoglobin to carry oxygen to the bodily tissues; a biconcave disc that has no nucleus
Rather, sed rate, also called the erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR), is used along with other tests to help physicians determine what might be causing inflammation in the body.
The aim of this study was to evaluate the effects of an oral supplementation with a Curcuma longa ethanol and aqueous extract (turmeric extract) on the susceptibility to oxidation of cellular and subcellular membranes affected in the atherosclerotic process, such as erythrocyte membranes and liver microsomes, in rabbits fed with a high-fat diet.
• Sedimentation Rate (sed. rate or ESR): The erythrocyte sedimentation rate is an indication of the degree of inflammation in the body.
All erythrocyte TPMT levels were determined at the MAYO Medical Laboratories.
Labs: K 3.5 HCO3 29 BUN 15 Cr 0.9 hematocrit 39 WBC 10,100 U/A 1+ protein and benign sediment erythrocyte sed rate 56 mm/hr.
• Sedimentation Rate sed. rate or ESR: The erythrocyte sedimentation rate is an indication of the degree of inflammation in the body.
As is apparent from the brief review given above, the relationship between genome size and erythrocyte size is detectable in each of the vertebrate classes, even in the uniquely enucleate case of mammals.
Blood viscosity, total hemoglobin content, and other such parameters are of obvious significance to organismal physiology, but no other parameter has received more attention in regards to genome size/cell size interactions than erythrocyte surface area to volume (SA: V) ratios.
Deletion in erythrocyte band 3 gene in malaria-resistant Southeast Asian ovalocytosis.
-- Betty Pops, Indianapolis, Ind. Dogs actually have a dozen identifiable blood types determined by dog erythrocyte antigens (DEA).