from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A structure or device, such as an outside stairway attached to a building, erected for emergency exit in the event of fire.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. any of the series of emergency doors, ladders, or stairs used to evacuate a building if a fire breaks out.
- n. the entire escape route viewed as a whole.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a contrivance for facilitating escape from burning buildings.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Any apparatus or structure designed to enable persons to escape from the upper windows of a building in case of fire.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a stairway (often on the outside of a building) that permits exit in the case of fire or other emergency
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.