from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. an ornament or knob in the shape of a flower
- n. the small flower at the centre of each side of a Corinthian abacus; a flos
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A flower-shaped ornament, esp. one terminating an object or forming one of a series, as a knob of a cover to a dish, or a flower-shaped part in a necklace.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In ornamental art, a conventional flower or a small object, as one link or member of a bracelet, necklace, or the like, which has a somewhat floral shape.
- n. In architecture, a floral ornament; specifically, the large conventional flower usually placed in the center of the abacus of a Corinthian capital or classic ceiling-caisson; also, the floreated termination of a Gothic finial.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
How to write a fleuron character - useful for separating paragraphs of longhand
For my fellow traditionalists who still occasionally write letters and cards by hand from time to time, it can be useful to know how to write a fleuron.
The fleuron (or leaf) is a useful symbol for indicating a pause or change of thought.
So there you have it: the fleuron in three simple steps.
Jon Aquino's Mental Garden: How to write a fleuron character - useful for separating paragraphs of longhand
They tend to come in threes, though a single fleuron can be useful to indicate the beginning of a paragraph.
In 1942, he purchased half of the Domaine de la Romanée-Conti from Jacques Chambon, and devoted himself to this domaine for the following 40 years, developing it into what is referred to by the international cognoscenti as the fleuron de la Bourgogne, or “the gem of Burgundy.”
Evil, which would be the most useful fleuron of the Crown if it was effectual.
The tenth story is 17 feet in diameter, and, with the covering, 20 feet high, and the finishing on the top is 17 feet high; so that the whole structure, from the base to the top of the fleuron, is 163 feet.
I suppose you do everything that is Royal except touching for the Evil, which would be the most useful fleuron of the Crown if it was effectual.