from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Having the flavor or odor of game, especially game that is slightly spoiled.
- adj. Ill-smelling; rank.
- adj. Showing an unyielding spirit; plucky: a gamy little mare that loved to run.
- adj. Corrupt; tainted: "those considerable forces in America that appear to be tired of the old politics (particularly the gamy municipal variety)” ( Tom Wicker).
- adj. Sordid; seamy.
- adj. Sexually suggestive; racy.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Alternative spelling of gamey.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Having the flavor of game, esp. of game kept uncooked till near the condition of tainting; high-flavored.
- adj. Showing an unyielding spirit to the last; plucky; furnishing sport.
- adj. Same as gamey.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Having the flavor of game; having a flavor as of game kept uncooked till it is slightly tainted, when it is held by connoisseurs to be in proper condition for the table: as, the venison was in fine gamy condition.
- Spirited; plucky; game: as, a gamy little fellow.
- Also, less correctly, spelled gamey.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. willing to face danger
- adj. suggestive of sexual impropriety
- adj. (used of the smell of meat) smelling spoiled or tainted
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Because of the absence of musk glands, the meat is free of the "gamy" flavor found in squirrels and rabbits.
At 8: 15 this morning, according to his travel log, he had 67 London branches yet to visit, and smelled a bit "gamy".
I would think it may be somewhat gamy tasting and tough, I may have to try sometime, just to say I did.
Its buttery, molasses-like tang is ideal in making cakes or granola and for glazing gamy meats like duck or short ribs. $25 a quart, themaplefarm.com
“We pour off the water from the chicken when we first boil it to take away the gamy smell,” he explained.
This month, "The Unofficial Hunger Games Cookbook," was published, with 150 recipes for rustic, gamy fare including fried squirrel and raccoon in bacon drippings, though none for dog.
One note on the cleaning of squirrels - they have glands under their front legs (kernels) that should be removed after skinning or the squirrel will taste gamy and rank.
Then Ill turn it into burger and jerky, because it's too tough and gamy to eat straight up.
This tasted remarkably like a pan fried sopressata, somewhat on the gamy side, but no unpleasantly so.
If anything, 2 Broke Girls which comes on just before Men is even filthier — or maybe it just seems that way when Kat Dennings delivers one of her gamy punch lines.