from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- verb transitive. to
utter, publish; to announce, proclaim, report. to give (it) out: to profess, give it to be believed that. also, to give (a person) out to be (so and so)
- verb to announce (a
hymn) to be sung; to read out (the words) for the congregation to sing
- verb to send forth,
emit; to cause to be sent forth. also, to put forth, utter (prayers)
- verb to issue; to
- verb intransitive of persons: to desist (in later use, to desist through exhaustion of strength or patience). of an implement, a limb, a machine, etc.: to break down, get out of order, fail. of a supply: to run short, come to an end
- verb Ireland, idiomatic . To
complain, sulk, chastise.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- verb give to several people
- verb prove insufficient
- verb stop operating or functioning
- verb give off, send forth, or discharge; as of light, heat, or radiation, vapor, etc.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.