from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of a group of five chemically related nonmetallic elements including fluorine, chlorine, bromine, iodine, and astatine.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any element of group 7, i.e. fluorine, chlorine, bromine, iodine and astatine, which form a salt by direct union with a metal.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An electro-negative element or radical, which, by combination with a metal, forms a haloid salt; especially, chlorine, fluorine, bromine, and iodine; sometimes, also cyanogen. See Chlorine family, under chlorine.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In chem., an element that forms a compound of a saline nature by its direct union with a metal.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any of five related nonmetallic elements (fluorine or chlorine or bromine or iodine or astatine) that are all monovalent and readily form negative ions
All the halogen is obtained with the washing liquid in the form of sodium halide, all the sulphur in the form of sulphuric acid.
There is a group of closely allied elements to which the name halogen
Tungsten halogen bulbs are actually another type of incandescent bulb; they are often simply called halogen bulbs.
FLUORIDES - One of several compounds is used to add fluoride ions to the public water supply Sodium fluoride, one of the most used, is one of the deadliest forms of what is called halogen salts.
If we would have used halogen, which is standard for fiber optic illuminators we would have had to have added four more PV modules (is a lesson here for homeowners and their appliances and lighting).
GE has consumers covered each step of the way with a variety of alternatives such as halogen, CFL and LED bulbs-available today-that already meet the new efficiency standards.
New and established technologies such as halogen and energy-saving light bulbs will continue to exist side-by-side on the market for many years to come.
With regard to the environmental impact of products DSM developed innovative new products such as halogen-free grades in all relevant product lines of DSM Engineering Plastics for use in laptops, mobile phones and PDA's and a zero to low VOC waterborne and solvent-based product portfolio for professional painters at DSM Resins.
People should check that sources located in the roof cavity such as halogen downlights, chimney flues and electric fans were not covered over and had enough space around them to avoid overheating, Mr Whan said.
There are other energy-saving options, she says, such as halogen tungsten lights which are about 30% more efficient than incandescent bulbs.