from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun Any of several viral infections marked by the eruption of small vesicles on the skin or mucous membranes, especially herpes simplex.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun A cutaneous affection, also occurring sometimes on mucous membranes, characterized by the appearance of patches of distinct vesicles. Several forms of herpes are named, of which the principal are those given below.
- noun [capitalized] [NL.] In entomology, a genus of weevils, of the family Curculionidæ, having as type H. porcellos, of Asiatic Turkey.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun (Med.) An eruption of the skin, taking various names, according to its form, or the part affected, caused by a herpesvirus infection; especially, an eruption of vesicles in small distinct clusters, accompanied with itching or tingling, including shingles, ringworm, and the like; -- so called from its tendency to creep or spread from one part of the skin to another.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun medicine A
viral infection, caused by the Herpes simplex virus, marked by painful, watery blistersin the skin or mucous membranesor on the genitals.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun any of the animal viruses that cause painful blisters on the skin
- noun viral diseases causing eruptions of the skin or mucous membrane
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
Shingles is sometimes called herpes "zoster", a Greek word meaning "girdle" or "belt", which describes the appearance of the rash.
Laskin 1982 wrote about what he called the herpes syndrome, the sense of being impaired, damaged, anguished, and in isolation.
Sorry, but anyone who doesn't take North Korea as serious as herpes is just asking for it.
Compared to 20 years ago, genital herpes is five times more common in 12 - to 19-year-old Caucasians and twice as common in adults ages 20 to 29.
You can get a list of the guys in your university with herpes from the new Campus Gossip site just to be on the safe side.
Genital herpes is a sexually transmitted disease (STD) caused by a virus spread during sex with an infected partner.
I was thinking of the difference between finding out you got herpes from a one night stand vs getting it from your boyfriend who you care a lot about.
But complaining about seeing Pauly is like complaining about getting herpes from a girl at Florida State.
Men were most likely to be affected, with increases in herpes, syphilis, gonorrhoea and genital warts.
Without those, dysuria could be anything, and herpes is right up there at the top of the list.